The Carswell project was an early example of the Friends using their contacts and influence to make a practical intervention. Mr Richard Ely had inserted a brick fountain-head of great architectural merit into a building near Mr Warrick’s Arms in Ock Street in 1719 to provide a better water supply. When Mr A E Preston wrote his pamphlet on the Carswell in 1940 Morlands Brewery had started to demolish the building, intending to move the fountain to another site. Wartime restrictions halted the work, and the Carswell remained in a perilous state without its supporting wall for the remainder of the war.
Morlands then consulted Mr Walter Godfrey, and in July 1947 the Friends became involved in taking action to have it moved to its present site in Conduit Road. Mr Godfrey obtained a licence for the work and, with difficulty, found a builder, and it was moved to its new position by September. The funds raised by the Friends by public subscription and from Morlands were inadequate, the Borough would not contribute, and so the Friends made good the balance of £115 from their meagre resources.