The Borough proposed to allow the Berkshire County Council to build a Youth Centre at the east end of the Abbey Grounds. The Friends expressed concern that this could affect important archaeological remains of the abbey.
The Borough put forward proposals for drastic changes to the churchyard in order to create a public garden. The Friends opposed this vigorously, and made alternative proposals. The scheme was eventually dropped.
This small moated mound, surrounded by a loop of the Stert stream, was constructed for one of the Norman knights established on abbey lands in the 11th century to provide military service to the Crown. In September 1949 the Friends … Continue reading →
The Friends were consulted in 1949 about the changes which led to the names Abbey Close, Checker Walk, and Coseners House – all of which, together with the Checker and Long Gallery, had previously been known rather confusingly as “The … Continue reading →
The Friends’ most complex and intensive intervention was the struggle to avoid the demolition of Fitzharris Manor House. This had been purchased in 1946 by the Ministry of Supply in order to develop the grounds as a housing estate (now … Continue reading →
The Tudor house of Abingdon’s first Mayor, Richard Mayott, was demolished prior to building premises for the Oxford Cooperative Society. The Friends asked the workmen to watch for items of interest and, as a result, a carved stone Tudor fireplace … Continue reading →
Before the Roysse Court was thrown open to Bridge Street in 1938 its only entrance was spanned by the archway erected in 1811 at the expense of the 5th Earl of Abingdon. In November 1950 the Borough consulted the Friends … Continue reading →
The Carswell project was an early example of the Friends using their contacts and influence to make a practical intervention. Mr Richard Ely had inserted a brick fountain-head of great architectural merit into a building near Mr Warrick’s Arms in … Continue reading →