AbiBinit! Litter Picking Initiative
Are you fed up with litter blowing around in the street? Did you know that a high profile litter picking session raises people’s awareness and improves their behaviour? Read on…
Many of us, while going about our daily lives, will usually bin other people’s litter. Sadly, others simply don’t care and throw it on the ground, where it blows around or piles up. Litter is unhealthy and costly for everyone, affecting the environment, crime rates, and even property prices. AbiBinit! is based on the OxClean initiative and has been formed to help keep all areas of our lovely town tidy and free of litter.
Future Litter Picks
Note: litter picking equipment will be supplied.
- Saturday 5th January – New Year Litter Pick
- Perimeter of Tesco and surrounding areas litter Pick
- Meeting Point: Main entrance of Tesco, Marcham Road
- Start time: 10am, finishing around 12 Noon
- Litter pick for young people – McDonalds Community Litter Pick
- Saturday 19th January
- Time: 10am for approximately one hour
- Meet up point: McDonald’s Entrance
- All litter picking equipment will be supplied.
- Under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult.
- A McDonald’s snack will be available at the end of the litter pick.
- Friday 1st March to Sunday 3rd March inclusive – The Abingdon Big Spring Clean
- More details coming soon
- Saturday 6 April 2019 – River & River Bank Clean-up
- More details coming soon
The Friends of Abingdon fully support the AbiBinit! initiative, as do the following organisations: OxClean, Abingdon Lions, Vale of White Horse District Council, South Oxfordshire District Council, Friends of Radley Lakes (†), Abingdon Green Gym (†), Abingdon Carbon Cutters, Abingdon Chamber of Commerce, and Keep Britain Tidy.
(†) Litter pickers are always required for these organisations.
“One of the things that’s fundamental to human nature is that we imitate the actions of those around us.” So said Robert Cialdini, emeritus professor of psychology and marketing at Arizona State University, who has conducted a number of landmark studies in littering and littering prevention. AbiBinit! believe we should encourage people to imitate litter pickers rather than litter throwers.
The Abingdon Big Spring Clean
The Great British Spring Clean is run in association with Keep Britain Tidy and is held annually over the first weekend in March. The dates for the 2019 Spring Clean are Friday 1st March to Sunday 3rd March inclusive.
If you would like to arrange your own group litter pick please order your equipment in good time from Biffa.
Anytime litter picks
Group litter picks can be organised at any time throughout the year. If you require litter picking equipment please email the South and Vale Waste Team. Please give them at least two weeks notice and leave any bags at a prearranged collection site. Please note: The waste team can only supply litter picking equipment for organised groups, not individuals.
Tips and guides for organising a litter pick
Needles, syringes, and hazardous waste should not be disturbed. Please report to the South and Vale Waste Team as soon as possible.
- Make sure your volunteers are well briefed, i.e meeting time and place. If possible offer maps of the area to be worked on.
- Reserve your litter picking equipment in good time and ensure that you will have enough for everyone.
- On the day hold a short briefing before starting.
- Make sure that everyone is aware of health and safety guidelines. See this LitterAction web page which has lots of information on how to organise a litter pick.
We are keen to see local retailers, food outlets, and pubs support the AbiBinit! initiative by keeping the outside of their premises (front and back) clear of litter. This will help to keep Abingdon a clean and attractive place. Retailers supporting AbiBinit! will receive:
- a certificate to display in their premises and on their website for marketing purposes.
- publicity on Social Media for supporting AbiBinit!.
Children’s Litter Picks
A children’s litter pick will be arranged on one Saturday during the summer months. Parents should collect and return equipment to the organiser and accompany children during their litter pick. Children will receive a fun certificate for taking part.
Please note: The Council waste team can supply child-size litter picks for groups of children.
Youth Clubs, Brownies, Guides, Cubs, and Scouts
AbiBinit! is keen to encourage these groups to get involved in regular litter picking, possibly allocating an area to work on (e.g. a playground, the skate park).
AbiBinit! will be contacting local primary and secondary schools to establish what they currently offer in terms of education on littering. There are a number of excellent resources available online which can be downloaded for free from the LitterAction Schools web page
Email Contact List
- AbiBinit!: contact Helen – we need volunteers so please contact Helen if you can help in any way.
- To request litter picking equipment, contact the South and Vale Waste Team.
- To report overflowing bins or evidence of fly tipping, or to request a new bin, a replacement bin, and other issues, contact Biffa.
- To report large items of waste in waterways, contact the Environment Agency.