Now in their 8th year, the Bank Holiday walks are an established part of the Abingdon calendar and are a great way to find out more about our lovely town – or show it off to visting friends and family.
There will be guided walks leaving the Market Place at 10.30 and 14.00. Morning walks are:
- 1556 Boundary Walk – with a Town Councillor and a Town Crier
- Lost Abbey Tour – with a member of the Twin Towns Society
- Alternative Flowerbeds – with Abingdon Carbon Cutters
- Rivers of Abingdon – with an enthusiast from the Wilts and Berks Canal Trust
and in the afternoon there will be:
- a Wildlife Walk to Radley Lakes – with Abingdon Naturalists
- Abingdon’s Industrial Past walk – with the Town Archivist
- Art About Abingdon walk – with the “Backstreeter” (the Abingdon blogger)
Some of these are short tours, with lots of information on a theme, others are “real” walks. No need to book, just turn up.
Alternatively, Abingdon Health Walks will be running their regular Monday walks (gentle, moderate and brisk) from the Leisure Centre. They leave at 10.30 (but please arrive 15 minutes early to check in) and last about an hour. More details here
Or, if you prefer to do your own thing, there will be leaflets for 4-5 different walks on our Market Place stall, also our walk/quiz sheets, which you can also download from here; they are good fun to do as a family.
All walks are free but there will be refreshments in the Abbey Buildings and at Radley Lakes, and at the leisure centre for the Health Walks so bring some money for them!
The programme is still being finalised so watch out for possible additional walks and more details.