Before the Roysse Court was thrown open to Bridge Street in 1938 its only entrance was spanned by the archway erected in 1811 at the expense of the 5th Earl of Abingdon. In November 1950 the Borough consulted the Friends and accepted their recommendation that the arch should not be demolished. By March 1951 the Borough had reversed their decision and wished to re-erect it at a new entrance to the Abbey Grounds. Mr Longland and Mr Cobban had already appealed for funds to restore it in situ, and the Borough eventually agreed to this. The repair was complete by February 1952, but the restored arch was soon blocked by the new emergency exit from the Great Council Chamber.